Working together... because suicide is everyone's business!
SASS (Suicide Awareness Survivor Support) believes the public must be educated about suicide.
We sincerely feel that "Suicide is everyone's business." With this in mind, SASS has five steps that we’re taking to make sure that "Suicide is everyone’s business." Those steps are:
Did You Know?
- More than 31,000 people kill themselves each year.
- Hispanic adolescent girls have a higher rate of suicide than non-Hispanic.
- Suicide is now the third leading cause of death among African-American men between the ages of 10-24 years of age.
- Deliberate suicide actions have occurred in children as young as seven years old.
- Most people experience some suicidal thinking at brief periods in the course of life.
- There is no single reason for suicide.
- Guns are used in 60% of suicide deaths in the U.S. and are the leading method among nearly all groups.
- Older persons have a higher prevalence of depression, a greater use of highly lethal methods and social isolation.
- Suicide rates among the elderly are highest for those who are divorced or widowed.
- Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than are females. However, females are more likely to attempt suicide than are males.
- Suicide can be preventable and does not have to be an option.