National Suicide Lifeline
Did You Know
- More than 40,000 people kill themselves each year.
- Hispanic adolescent girls have a higher rate of suicide than non-Hispanic.
- Suicide is now the third leading cause of death among African-American men between the ages of 10-24 years of age.
- Deliberate suicide actions have occurred in children as young as seven years old.
- Most people experience some suicidal thinking at brief periods in the course of life.
- There is no single reason for suicide.
- Guns are used in 60% of suicide deaths in the U.S. and are the leading method among nearly all groups.
- Older persons have a higher prevalence of depression, a greater use of highly lethal methods and social isolation.
- Suicide rates among the elderly are highest for those who are divorced or widowed.
- Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than are females. However, females are more likely to attempt suicide than are males.
- Suicide can be preventable and does not have to be an option.